Your search results

What kind a cannabis license do you need?

by Roger Tower on January 28, 2019
What kind a cannabis license do you need?

Getting a cannabis license in California is an extensive process. It starts with knowing what type of license you need and how to apply for it.

There are three cannabis licensing authorities in California. Each one is tasked with licensing different cannabis businesses in the state. A license is required for the commercial distribution of cannabis products. The type of license a legal cannabis business requires depends on what part of the cannabis distribution phase it’s involved in. Businesses can apply for these types of licenses: cultivator, distributor, retailer, testing lab, and microbusiness.

The Bureau of Cannabis Control works within the Department of Consumer Affairs and licenses distributors, testing labs, retailers and microbusinesses. CalCannabis is a branch operating under the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA). They’re responsible for issuing licenses to cultivators. The Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch is housed under the Department of Public Health and tasked with licensing manufacturers of cannabis edibles and topical products.

The commercial distribution of cannabis in California is highly regulated. To ensure compliance with all state laws, schedule a consultation with our team of experts. We have experience in cannabis law and helping cannabis businesses through every aspect of the licensing process.